“..the word of God continued to increase and spread.” Acts 12:24
If you’re looking for a primer on evangelism, turn to the book of Acts. If there is one overarching theme of Acts, it is the verse above –the spread of Christianity. Acts is also a book about people, individuals, who through their words and deeds made an impact for Christ. I’m going to list a few of them here.
- Philip: one of the first to preach the gospel outside of Jerusalem (Acts 8:4-40)
- Peter: led by God to Cornelius, one of the first Gentiles to become a Christian(Acts 9:32-10:48)
- Barnabas: went to Antioch as an encourager; traveled on to Troas (Acts 11:25-30)
- Apollos: left Alexandria for Ephesus, preached in Athens and Corinth(Acts 18:24-28)
- Priscilla & Aquila: taught the complete gospel story to Apollos (same reference as above)
- Paul: went on missionary journeys along with Barnabas and John Mark (Acts 13: 1-14); Silas, Timothy and Luke (Acts 15:36-18:22); Erastus (Acts 18:23 and 19:1-21:4)
In all, Acts mentions over one hundred people who contributed to the growth of the church. It’s inspiring and exciting reading!
Pingback: My reading list for March 26 – April 1, 2017 | Clay on the Wheel