There was recently an article in our local paper by a doctor, who gave the readers suggestions about making choices that would lead to a healthier physical life. It occurred to me that most of them can be adapted to living a healthier spiritual life, so here goes
To be healthy physically To be healthy spiritually
- Stop smoking Stop sinful habits We know certain things are bad for us, but we often hold onto them out of habit. What sin do you struggle with most often? Is it lust, greed, laziness, pride, anger, gluttony or something else? Make an effort to give it up.
- Control your weight Feed yourself spiritually It’s been said that you are what you eat. Nourish yourself by reading God’s Word and reading books and watching television shows that edify instead of feeding yourself with “junk food”
- Exercise Exercise your faith Your faith will not grow stronger without practice. Go to worship and Bible study. Pray. Make these things part of your weekly routine.
- Have regular check-ups Meet with a spiritual mentor Make time to speak with a more mature Christian who will hold you accountable in your faith life and give suggestions about how to grow spiritually. This could be your pastor, or a Christian friend.
- Do something besides work Participate in Christian ministry Helping others will not only spread God’s love in the world, it will make you feel better about yourself and you will spend less time thinking about your problems.
- Have someone special in your life Join other Christians in fellowship God is love, and He made us to give and receive love. Positive relationships are important to both physical and spiritual health
Most of us are willing to make changes that will improve our lives physically, so why not spiritually? The same kind of sacrifice and discipline is necessary, and the effects are even more worthwhile. Since Lent is a time of spiritual discipline, consider which of these healthy habits you can implement.
Pingback: Mind Your Mind | Lutheran Ladies Connection
Pingback: Laugh–It’s Good for You! | Lutheran Ladies Connection