Normally we think of “shepherding” as the responsibility of the Pastor. However, anyone can have this spiritual gift. When I discovered that this was one of my gifts I understood why I enjoy leading small groups and being the spiritual gifts coordinator for our congregation. Here is some information about this gift from my Fanning the Flame material.
Literal Meaning: To shepherd a flock
Description: The gift of shepherding is the special ability that God gives to certain members of the Body of Christ to assume a long-term personal responsibility for the spiritual welfare of a group of believers.
- Take responsibility to nurture the whole person in their walk with God
- Provide guidance and oversight to a group of God’s people
- Model with their life what it means to be a fully devoted follower of
- Jesus Christ
- Establish trust, loyalty, and confidence through long-term relationships
- Lead and protect those within their span of care
People with the gift of shepherding have the following traits:
If you have this spiritual gift you might use it as a small group facilitator, Sunday School or Confirmation class teacher; leader of a program for New Members of Discipleship training.
For references to this gift see: Ephesians 4:11; 1 Thessalonians 5:12 or 1 Timothy 3:1-7
For other posts on spiritual gifts see: