These suggestions are taken from a book I reviewed yesterday, Forgive by Tim Keller. He states we can only overcome evil with good by refraining from hurting the person who has harmed you. Here are some specific instructions for doing that:
- Pray for them. It is hard to stay angry at someone if you are praying for them.
- Forgive them. You may confront or even go to the law if necessary, but never in revenge.
- Don’t avoid them. Act as kindly, as helpfully, as respectfully as you can, always seeking a relationship
- Give them what they need, to whatever degree they allow. This means if there is an opportunity to do something for a wrongdoer, do it, but never in a way that enables them to abuse you.
- Do it humbly. Forgiveness is a gift given by one sinner to another.
Forgiveness is never easy, but it is necessary. Without it no relationship, no society can continue.
“See to it that …. no ‘root of bitterness’ springs up and causes trouble, and by it many become defiled.” Hebrews 12:15
For more about forgiveness see these posts: