“Praise the Lord!
For it is good to sing praises to our God; for he is gracious and a song of praise is seemly.” Psalm 147:1
The Bible tells us that singing is good; Martin Luther said music is a gift from God. Numerous studies also tell us that singing and music are not only good, they are good for us. Here are some examples:
- Music education, even at a very young age, improves visual, verbal and communication skills
- Music keeps an aging brain healthy. It’s exercise for the brain and promotes better memory and mental agility
- Music causes your brain to release dopamine which improves your mood, and reduces depression and anxiety
- Music strengthens the heart and has been shown to improve the recovery time of patients after heart surgery
- Music improves sleep quality
- Music boosts the immune system and reduces pain
My advice? Go to a church where you sing and make a joyful noise to God at least once a week. You’ll be happier and healthier.