“Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.” Ephesians 1:3
This post is actually a continuation of last month’s discussions on the Holy Spirit. During one of the studies at our church, we talked about the blessings that come from the Spirit. If you read further in the first chapter of Ephesians, you will find that those blessings include:
- We were chosen by God for salvation
- We have been adopted as children of God
- We have forgiveness for our sins
- We have been given insight into God’s Word
- We have been received spiritual gifts
- We have the power to do God’s Will
- We will live forever with Christ
These gifts from “the heavenly realm” are not temporal, but eternal. Because of our unity with Christ through the Holy Spirit, we enjoy them now. In addition, the Spirit is at work in the church providing us with the spiritual blessings offered in the means of grace –Word (proclamation) and Sacrament (baptism and communion).
All people benefit from common graces which also comes from the Spirit of God–things like music, art, beauty, nature, marriage, community, creativity and more. We have each been richly blessed — how should we respond?
For more about blessings see these posts: